Now that you know the main use cases for crypto wallets, you may be wondering about the difference between hot and cold storage options. As a beginner, it's important to understand the distinction in order to choose the right solution for your needs.
What are Hot Wallets?
A hot wallet refers to any cryptocurrency wallet connected to the internet. Examples include:
- Mobile wallet apps
- Online web-based wallets
- Desktop wallets installed on your computer
- Hardware wallets when plugged into a device
Hot wallets allow you to easily access and transact your crypto holdings at any time. The trade-off is that they are more susceptible to hacking via the internet, particularly software hot wallets.
What are Cold Wallets?
Cold wallets are cryptocurrency storage solutions completely disconnected from the internet. Some examples are:
- Hardware wallets in cold storage mode
- Paper wallets with keys printed out
- Offline computer wallets not connected to any network
Cold wallets provide extremely secure offline storage. However, it takes more effort to manually access holdings, making transactions less convenient.
Here are the main differences between hot and cold crypto wallet storage:
- Security: Cold wallets are much more secure against online hacking attempts. Hot wallets are more vulnerable.
- Accessibility: Hot wallets allow instant access to your coins online. Cold wallets take manual steps to access offline.
- Convenience: Hot wallets are very convenient for active trading and spending. Cold wallets are ill-suited for frequent transactions.
- Backup: Hot wallets may rely on a company's server. Cold wallets depend on your own manual backup.
- Cost: Many hot wallets are free while most cold wallets involve buying a physical device.
Choosing What's Best for You
Assess your needs in terms of assets, activity level, and technical abilities. Hot wallets may be better for small amounts and frequent activity. Cold wallets provide robust security for large investments you plan to hold. Many utilize both wallet types to enjoy the ideal balance.
Understanding the differences between hot and cold wallets allows you to make an informed choice on securing your cryptocurrency. Consider both accessibility and security when selecting storage solutions as a beginner. With the right knowledge, you can craft the ideal wallet setup.